top of page


Robert W. Vail is an attorney and the owner of the law firm Vail Family Law PLLC. His practice focuses on various aspects of family law including divorce, child custody, child support, modification and enforcement of court orders, paternity establishment, and adoption. Rob is also a trained mediator for family law matters and is on the Idaho Supreme Court’s list of approved child custody mediators.

Rob earned a Bachelor's degree in Family Sciences from BYU and his Juris Doctor from J. Reuben Clark Law School. After law school , Rob was employed for three years as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Cathy R. Silak - first at the Idaho Court of Appeals, and then at the Idaho Supreme Court. In 1994, Rob began working for Howell Law Offices,  and in 1997, Rob and Michael B. Howell formed the partnership Howell & Vail, LLP. For over 23 years Rob  has focused his personal practice in the area of family law matters, including more than 20 years as a special deputy attorney for the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare handling paternity and child support matters. In addition, Rob also assisted in the firm’s extensive creditor's rights practice. In 2017, Rob  open his own law firm, where he continues to focus his practice on helping people find effective legal solutions in all types of family law matters.


Before a mother can enforce a man's obligation to financially support his child, or a man can pursue his parental rights, the man's paternity (fatherhood) of the child must be legally established. For a child born out of wedlock, there are two ways to establish paternity. If the man and woman are in agreement regarding paternity, they can sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity form and then file that form with the Idaho Bureau of Vital Statistics. If either parent is unwilling to sign the Acknowledgment of Paternity form, then the other parent can legally establish who the father is by obtaining a Judgment of Paternity from the Court. If either parent is unsure who the biological father of the child is, that question can be resolved with certainty through genetic testing, which is now highly accurate, painless, and relatively quick and inexpensive. Rob Vail has handled hundreds of paternity cases. If you need to establish paternity, contact Rob for a free consultation. He can discuss with you the specifics of your case, your legal options, and answer questions you may have about parental rights and responsibilities.

Vail Family Law, Family Law, family law attorney, meridian idaho family law attorney, divorce attorney, boise idaho divorce, paternity


Contact Vail Family Law for a free consultation today

Thanks! Message sent.


1855 N Lakes Pl, Meridian, ID 83646

Tel:  208-336-9133


Click Here to Find Us



For any general inquiries, please fill in the following contact form:

Success! Message received.

bottom of page